We know how important it is for you to have peace of mind, assistance while you travel, and know your trip is protected from unforeseen events. That is why we recommend RailAid to all our customers.
When RailAid is added at the time of train ticket purchase, you are entitled to all the benefits of RailAid, including priority assistance while traveling, access to the ItaliaPass Lounge, discounts on rail related services and the ability to change or receive a full credit of your tickets based on the covered conditions listed below. More benefits are being planned and will further increase the value of this offer.
This service is available for a cost of $14 (or free with ItaliaPass), and covers the rail tickets purchased within a single order on our website at the same time with RailAid. RailAid is not a travel insurance.
Terms and conditions of the program are as follows:
RailAid must be added at the same time of rail ticket purchase and up to 48 hours before the travel date in order for the tickets to qualify for coverage. RailAid is limited to 4 people under the same order.
The following benefits are available upon purchase of RailAid.
- Priority Assistance:
Before travelling and while in Italy, customers will have access to the following toll-free line and priority email Help Desk: RailAid@italiarail.com or calling 1-877-399-7245 (RAIL)
- Access to ItaliaPass Lounge:
RailAid grants access free of charge to the ItaliaPass Lounge at Rome Termini (the central train station from where high speed and other trains will take you to your other destinations). The ItaliaPass Lounge offers complimentary espresso drinks, Italian snacks and aperitivos and features one of the fastest and most reliable wi-fi connections in Termini station. Based on current prices, this benefits allows saving 20 USD for each day of access.
- Ticket Changes and Cancellations:
- Tickets covered by RailAid can be changed or cancelled for a transferable credit for any reason on requests that are submitted within 48 hours from purchase, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.
- After 48 hours from purchase, tickets covered by RailAid can be changed or cancelled for a transferable credit based on the Covered Reasons listed below, provided the customer notifies ItaliaRail customer support by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 1-877-399-7245 (RAIL) at least 72 hours prior to the departure of the train. The credit from cancelled tickets can be used within 5 years from its issuing.
- Trip Interruption, Strikes, Missed Connections:
For tickets covered by RailAid, a full and transferable credit will be issued for the unusable or non refundable portions of your ticket for any of the Covered Reasons below, by notifying ItaliaRail customer support via email to RailAid@italiarail.com or calling 1-877-399-7245 (RAIL) anytime prior to the departure of the train. The RailAid Claim Form must then be submitted with accompanied documentation. We will do our best to help you booking a different train. If that is not possible, the value of the original ticket will be applied to any new booking by the customer or by a different customer to whom the credit has been transferred. The credit can be used within 5 years from its issuing.
- Loss or Theft:
For tickets covered by RailAid, in case of loss or theft, a full and transferable credit will be issued for the value of the original ticket, by notifying ItaliaRail customer support via email to RailAid@italiarail.com or calling 1-877-399-7245 (RAIL) anytime prior to the departure of the train. The RailAid Claim Form must then be submitted with accompanied documentation, including the tickets purchased to substitute the lost or stolen tickets. The value of the original ticket will be applied to any new booking by the customer or by a different customer to whom the credit has been transferred. The credit can be used within 5 years from its issuing.
- Accidental bodily injury, loss of life, or sickness experienced by the customer, a traveling companion or an immediate family member (parents, spouse, children) of the customer or a traveling companion;
- Severe weather or natural disaster that does not allow beginning or continuing the trip;
- Travel arrangements canceled or modified for whatever reason by a carrier airline or different railroad than Trenitalia making it impossible to connect with the covered trip. For RailAid and other customers traveling on Trenitalia trains that are late and therefore result in missing the departure of the connecting train, Trenitalia has the obligation to protect the customer in the next available train to its final destination as per the transportation contract between the customer and the transport company and applicable European Union law;
- Strikes which cause departure to be delayed or cancelled by the carrier airline or different railroad than Trenitalia;
- Financial insolvency of your tour operator, or travel supplier which causes the tour/transportation contract not to be honored;
- Lost/Stolen documents such as passport, or travel documents making it impossible for the customer to travel;
- Serious damages in their habitual or secondary residence or in their own professional or rented premises, proven by a certification or letter by the insurance company, that made it impossible for the passenger to travel without an effective risk of greater damage that makes their presence necessary;
- The passenger being hired with a regular employment contract in a new job in a company not belonging to the one where the previous position was held;
- Unplanned and not freely chosen business transfer to a different locality for a period of more than three months;
- Terrorist action made public by media or hijacking reported to/by the police in the passenger´s town of residence affecting the passenger or in the city of train travel either origin or destination;
- Jury duty or a court subpoena that cannot be postponed or waived.
- Advise ItaliaRail of your change request, cancellation or trip interruption immediately once it is known and within the guideline times listed in the Terms and Conditions by sending an email to RailAid@italiarail.com or calling 1-877-399-7245 (RAIL)
- After initial notification, Cancellation or Trip Interruption claims must be submitted within 30 days after original departure, by emailing the RailAid Claim Form (available at the bottom of this page) or online at www.italiarail.com/contact-us/RailAidclaims, along with the scanned relevant accompanying documentation and copy of the original notification email of your cancellation or trip interruption.
- Accompanying documentation includes copies of any document or supporting information relating to the incident (including, but not limited to medical report or death certificate, fire report, police report, insurance company letter, railway or airline letter). If new tickets are purchased, please keep receipts and all original documentation.
- Cancellation reimbursement only applies to the cost of the original rail ticket (i.e. other products or service fees will not be included in the cancellation or trip interruption credit) and does not include the part of the ticket for which the rail carrier otherwise provides reimbursement (for instance in case of strike). Travelers are responsible for any difference in price between the original and any new ticket.
- Each claim will be issued to the individual who paid for the coverage and met all the requirements described herein.
Exclusions & Limitations:
RailAid has the following exclusions and limitations:
(a) Reasons relating to the delay or confiscation by Customs, Officials, Police or other Security Officers.
(b) Tickets that are not in clients’ actual possession at the time of loss.
(c) Acts of god, war, hostilities by foreign (whether war is declared or not), rebellion, revolution, insurrection, military or usurped power.
(d) Any dishonest, fraudulent or criminal act by the ticket holder.
(e) Any provision that is in conflict with applicable law is hereby amended to conform to minimum requirements of such law.
(f) RailAid may only be used one (1) time for the product it was purchased for and cannot be applied to a new booking is made, unless an additional RailAid product is added..
(g) RailAid is not valid for groups of more than 4 people on one order. If there are more than 4 people travelling together, additional orders should be created with RailAid added, in order that benefits can be included.
(h) Some products may already include some of the benefits under RailAid. Please consult your terms and conditions for selected products prior to purchasing.
(i) RailAid itself is non-refundable and has no cash or unused value reimbursement.
Governing law and arbitration:
These Terms of Service shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Massachusetts, including its conflicts of law rules, and the United States of America.
YOU AGREE THAT ALL DISPUTES BETWEEN YOU AND US (WHETHER OR NOT SUCH DISPUTE INVOLVES A THIRD PARTY) WITH REGARD TO YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH US, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION DISPUTES RELATED TO THESE TERMS OF SERVICE, YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES, AND/OR RIGHTS OF PRIVACY AND/OR PUBLICITY, WILL BE RESOLVED BY BINDING, INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION UNDER THE AMERICAN ARBITRATION ASSOCIATION'S RULES FOR ARBITRATION OF CONSUMER-RELATED DISPUTES AND YOU AND WE HEREBY EXPRESSLY WAIVE TRIAL BY JURY; PROVIDED, HOWEVER, THAT TO THE EXTENT THAT YOU HAVE IN ANY MANNER VIOLATED OR THREATENED TO VIOLATE OUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS, WE MAY SEEK INJUNCTIVE OR OTHER APPROPRIATE RELIEF IN ANY STATE OR FEDERAL COURT IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK. DISCOVERY AND RIGHTS TO APPEAL IN ARBITRATION ARE GENERALLY MORE LIMITED THAN IN A LAWSUIT, AND OTHER RIGHTS THAT YOU AND WE WOULD HAVE IN COURT MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE IN ARBITRATION. A party who intends to seek arbitration must first send to the other, by certified mail, a written Notice of Intent to Arbitrate ("Notice"). The Notice to InterRail should be addressed to: 15 Hancock Avenue, Newton, MA 02459 ("Arbitration Notice Address"). The Notice must (a) describe the nature and basis of the claim or dispute; and (b) set forth the specific relief sought ("Demand"). If we do not reach an agreement to resolve the claim within 30 days after the Notice is received, you may commence an arbitration proceeding. You may bring claims only on your own behalf. Neither you nor we will participate in a class action or class-wide arbitration for any claims covered by this agreement to arbitrate.
Change: No change to these conditions is be valid unless executed in writing.
Violation of law: Any provision of this program that is in conflict with applicable law is hereby amended to conform to the minimum legal requirements of such law.
Assignment: These Terms of Service are personal to you, and are not assignable, transferable, or sublicensable by you except with our prior written consent. We may assign, transfer, or delegate any of our rights and obligations hereunder without consent.
Agency: No agency, partnership, joint venture, or employment relationship is created as a result of these Terms of Service and neither party has any authority of any kind to bind the other in any respect.
No Waiver: Our failure to enforce any part of these Terms of Service shall not constitute a waiver of our right to later enforce that or any other part of these Terms of Service. Waiver of compliance in any particular instance does not mean that we will waive compliance in the future. In order for any waiver of compliance with these Terms of Service to be binding, we must provide you with written notice of such waiver through one of our authorized representatives.
Headings: The section and paragraph headings in these Terms of Service are for convenience only and shall not affect their interpretation.